July 23, 2020
Every so often, a right wing list of grievances makes the rounds on the web, and every several years or so I grab one that addresses enough different issues to make it worth my while. This one showed up, and I thought it was time to do one of those.
1. Joe Biden isn’t winning just like Hillary wasn’t winning.
Hillary did win by 3% of the vote. Biden has between and 8 and 15 point lead in the polls, big enough that the Electoral College can’t overturn it.
2. Bubba Wallace wasn’t a victim.
Nope, and he never claimed to be. Indeed, he was deeply appreciative of the support he received from NASCAR and was happy and relieved to learn that the noose in question was not directed at him or any other African-American.
3. Black lives do matter, along with everyone else.
Until black people have all the rights and privileges of white people, then yes, we have to remember black lives matter.
4. What happened to Floyd should never happen again. But he was still a criminal not an innocent individual.
Floyd was suspected of passing a fake twenty. And that’s all. (The fake twenty never turned up, it seems). By the way, the pig who killed him had a far worse criminal past, protected by his badge and the color of his skin. Multiple incidents of what in regular people would be felonious assault, nine felony charges of tax evasion, and now murder.
5. All cops definitely aren’t bad, nor are they all racist.
No, but we must drive out the ones that are. They ruin the reputation of all cops. And endanger everyone.
6. Trump is the President and doing a great job! Just should keep his mouth shut at times.
I would love to see just one example where Trump is doing a great job. That someone felt he needed to be administered the Montréal Cognitive Assessment Test is not a sign he’s exhibiting top executive reasoning.
7. Rioters and looters have nothing to do with George Floyd. (And should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law).
Rioters and looters are less than 1% of the people who turned up at the protests of Floyd’s death, and mostly had nothing at all to do with the demonstrations. They just saw an opportunity, just as Trump saw an opportunity to send in his Nazi thugs.
8. Police lives matter.
Not at the expense of every one else’s lives.
9. Unborn lives matter.
So do the lives of women and families. So do the lives of the children you force into the world and then brutally ignore.
10. Colin Kaepernick isn’t a hero, and never will be.
Yes, he is, and I’ll demonstrate how he is at point 24. In the meantime, he risked everything for his principles. If right wingers ever get principles, then they might consider taking risks rather than just bullying people.
11. CNN isn’t news (nor is MSNBC)
Please don’t try to tell us that Fox, Sinclair or OAN are news. America desperately needs a not-for-profit news corporation like the BBC or CBC. CBC is one of the main reasons Canada isn’t the mess that the US is in today.
12. Elizabeth Warren isn’t Indian just a fake person.
Did you know that for years, Trump claimed to be Swedish because he felt having a German background might hurt him financially? How do you feel about that?
13. Facebook only censors conservatives.
If by “conservative” you mean bigots, hatemongers, conspiracy crackpots and liars, then yeah, I guess they only censor conservatives.
14. All lives do matter (red, yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight).
Until all lives are equal, that’s just vacuous nonsense.
15. COVID 19 is being used to gauge just how much of our freedom they can take away.
…and it’s howling nut time…
16. All fear is fueled by the media, this is a fact.
…says the guy who just said that the pandemic was just a government conspiracy…
17. God is still in control and always will be.
And a bang-up job it’s done of running the universe, let me tell you!
18. Epstein did not kill himself. Nascar did kill themselves.
Nascar will probably broaden its appeal outside the realm of treasonous racists.
19. Most people are not racist.
…says the guy who just said Nascar will fail because it rejected the Confederacy…
20. There is NO White Privilege
But didn’t Jesus have to turn white before guys like you would take him seriously?
21. LIFE is What YOU Make of it.
Provided you’re white, wealthy, powerful, and not an utter fuck-up like Trump. And if you’re rich enough, then even an utter fuck-up like Trump can make the most of it at our expense.
22. No one OWES You ANYTHING !
No one owes you your rights. Those are yours by birth. Nobody can tell you what they are, or take them away.
23. I stand for the Flag and National Anthem.
You’re free to do so. Just respect the right of others not to.
24. I kneel only for Jesus.
Again, fine. Just respect the rights of others to kneel—or not kneel—as they please. Your Jesus would have “taken a knee” for the rights of the oppressed. He would have knelt alongside Colin Kaepernick. Follow that example.
And there ya’ have it!
Toxic conservatism in a nutshell!